Mar 14, 2016 (Premium Times/All Africa Global Media via COMTEX) — Nigeria’s Interior Minister, Abdurrahman Dambazau, has vowed to deal with the perpetrators of violence in Agatu community, Benue state, where hundreds were killed weeks ago by suspected herdsmen.
Former Senate President David Mark said Saturday that over 500 people were killed and 10 communities in Agatu LGA razed in what seemed like a “genocide”.
In a statement Monday, Mr. Dambazau commiserated with the government and people of Benue State and said the government would deal “decisively” with perpetrators.
The comment came more than two weeks after the attacks, and was the second official reaction by the Nigerian government. President Muhammadu Buhari had earlier ordered an investigation into the killings.
“Minister of Interior has received with shock the sad news of incessant attacks on innocent Nigerians in Agatu and other Communities in Benue State by unknown gunmen,” a statement by Osaigbovo Ehisienmen, the chief press secretary to the minister, read.
The statement said Mr. Dambazau had earlier directed the Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase, to carry out an on-the-spot assessment of the situation in the communities. It said the government would not relent in its responsibility to protect its people.
For full article, click here.